I am fortunate to share the work of supporting and promoting the mission of Shannon Point Marine Center with an excellent team of professionals. The following list is far from exhaustive, but allows me to highlight the diversity of projects, collaborators, and opportunities I've been a component of. The injury free 1000 plus research cruises and 1800 plus scientific dives I've skippered and overseen are evidence of the environment of safety at Shannon Point; and accentuate the efficient, experienced, and skilled colleagues I work with.
Selected Academic and Research Groups
- Western undergraduate students, faculty, and staff.
- Research Experience for Undergraduate (REU) program students.
- Multicultural Initiative in the Marine Sciences Undergraduate Participation (MIMSUP) students.
- Western's Department of Biology and Huxley graduate students.
- Shannon Point Consortium members.
- Shannon Point scientific dive team members and volunteers.
- Engineering Technology human powered submarine team members.
- Dr. Paul Dinnel, larval herring bioassay research team, Shannon Point Marine Center.
- Dr. Jenny Purcell, larval jellyfish research team, Shannon Point Marine Center.
- Dr. Mary Sue Brancato, fiber optic monitoring cruises, Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary.
- Dr. Susanne Menden-Deuer research team, University of Rhode Island.
- Dr. E. Alan Verde, Cnidarian Symbiosis, Maine Maritime Academy.
- Collection divers, Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium.
- Seaglider team, Applied Physics Laboratory, University of Washington.
- Pinto Abalone research, Puget Sound Restoration Fund.
- Pinto Abalone research, Baywater Inc.
- National Oceonagraphic and Atmospheric Administration.
- Northwest Fisheries Science Center, Conservation Biology. Division, Integrated Marine Ecology Team.
- Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, Native Abalone recovery research team.
- Janna Nichols, Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF).
- Research Vessel Sharp pre-delivery hull characteristics and acoustic monitoring cruise.
Selected Presentations and Outreach
- Scientific Diving: An Introduction. Anacortes Middle School, 2006.
- Underwater Videography: Cory Crawford and Chelsea Sutcliffe, high-definition underwater video project, Jim Thompson Instructor, Anacortes High School.
- Fin Whales, Native Abalone, and Sea Pens: A scientific diver's story. Soroptimist International of Anacortes, 2010.
- A History of Scientific Diving and the American Academy of Underwater Sciences. National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration Unit Diving Supervisors Conference, 2009.
- Pacific Northwest Scientific Diving Officers Regional Meeting. Co-chair, Shannon Point Marine Center, 2006.
Scientific Diving Experience and Training
- Preliminary and Advanced Eelgrass/Macroalgae Habitat Surveys Conducted According to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Interim Survey Guidelines, 2001-Current.
- University of Hawaii Manoa, Fin Whale cranium recovery dives. Dive Team Leader, 2009.
- Nereus Entertainment LLC, Attack of the Sea Slugs. Short film by Champ Williams. Vessel Support and Safety Diver, 2009.
- Skagit Dive Rescue Volunteer Search and Rescue Team. Member and Assistant Instructor, 2008-Current.
- Walla Walla University Scientific Diver Checkout Course. Lead Instructor, 2009-2012.
- University of Washington Friday Harbor Labs Scientific Diver Checkout Course. Assistant Instructor, 2008-2009.
American Academy of Underwater Sciences
- Board of Director Service, 2007-2009
- Strategic Plan Development, 2008-2011
- Diving Safety Officer Orientation Workshop
- Helium-based Diving Techniques Workshop
- Inspiration and Evolution Closed Circuit Rebreather Workshop
- Camera Repair, Maintenance, and Use Workshop
- Scientific Blue Water Diving Workshop
- Drysuit Repair and Maintenance Workshop
- Diving Safety Officer Certification Program Development
- Symposiums, 2004-2009, 2011-Current
- National Diving Officers Meetings, 2004-2009, 2011-Current
- Scientific Diving Standards, Reviewer and Committee Work, 2007-2009
- Scientific Collection Techniques Workshop
Our World Underwater Scholarship Society
- Scientific Diving Internship Host, 2011 and 2012
Awards and Honors
- 2009 American Academy of Underwater Sciences Service Recognition Award
- 2006 Western Washington University Service Award
- 1994 William Dale Leech Award, Union College
Selected Publications and Acknowledgments
Dinnel, P. A., D. P. Middaugh, N. T. Schwarck, H. M. Farren, R. K. Haley, R. A. Hoover. 2010. Methods for Conducting Bioassays using Embryos of Pacific Herring, Clupea pallasi. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol.
Purcell, J.E., R. A. Hoover, and N. T. Schwarck. 2009. Interannual variation of strobilation by the scyphozoan Aurelia labiata in relation to polyp density, temperature, salinity, and light conditions in situ. Mar Ecol Prog Ser Vol. 375: 139149, 2009.
Valz, J. H. and P.A. Dinnel. 2007. Bottomfish Variability in the Proposed Marine Reserves of Skagit County, Washington. Proceedings of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences 26th Scientific Symposium.
Herwig, R. P., J. R. Cordell, J. C. Perrins, P. A. Dinnel, R. W. Gensemer, W. A. Stubblefield, G. M. Ruiz, J.A. Kopp, M. L. House, W. J. Cooper. 2006. Ozone treatment of ballast water on the oil tanker S/T Tonsina: chemistry, biology and toxicity. Marine Ecology Progress Series bol. 324, pp. 37-55.
Hyland, J. C. Cooksey, E. Bowlby, M. S. Brancato, and S. Intelmann. 2005. A Pilot Survey of Deepwater Coral/Sponge Assemblages and their Susceptibility to Fishing/Harvest Impacts at the Olympic coast National Marine Sanctuary (OCNMS). Cruise Report: NOAA Ship McARTHUR II Cruise AR-04-04: Leg 2 (June 1-12, 2004).
Weispfenning, A. J., P. A. Dinnel, N. T. Schwarck, G. L. McKeen. 2004. Baseline SCUBA Assesments of Habitat and Fishery Resources in Eight Candidate Marine Reserve Sites in Skagit County, Washington. Final Report for Skagit County Marine Resources Committee and Northwest Straits Commission.
- Adventures Down Under
- Gone Diving
- Anacortes Diving and Supply
- Whidbey Island Dive Center
- Pinnacle Aquatics
- Oceanic USA
- Underwater Kinetics
- Global Manufacturing Inc
- Divers Alert Network
- American Academy of Underwater Sciences
- Professional Association of Diving Instructors
- Professional Cylinder Inspectors
- Dive Rescue International
- Cap Sante Marine
- Divers Dream Charters
- Northwest Rigging Inc.
- ALMAR/North River Boats